Preparing for a Guided Wyoming Elk Hunt

Guided Wyoming Elk Hunt

November 6th, 2019

Author:

By Zach Lazzari

It’s one of the best guided hunts you can choose in the western United States. Wyoming has healthy elk herds and Table Mountain Outfitters hunts some of the best ground in the state. In fact, our elk hunts typically have a 100% opportunity rate. Not many free range outfits can offer that kind of quality. Table Mountain makes it possible by limiting the number of hunters and carefully managing the resource. This makes for some exciting encounters and up-close opportunities. Here are a few ways to prepare for this epic hunting opportunity.

Wyoming Elk Hunt

First Thing’s First: Apply

Wyoming nonresidents must apply in the annual drawing for elk. The deadline is January 31! That’s coming up quickly, right after the Holidays, so don’t procrastinate. There are no “over the counter” opportunities for nonresidents to hunt elk in Wyoming. However, the application process is easy and well worth the effort.

The draw in Wyoming issues 75% of the licenses to those with the most preference points. The other 25% are issued in a random drawing. So even if you don’t have preference points, there’s still a chance you could draw a tag. If you don’t draw a license, you’ll be able to purchase a preference point. Start applying now for a chance to draw, and in the meantime you can begin building points toward a future hunt!

Again, the deadline to apply for elk in Wyoming is January 31! Believe it or not, it’s now time to start planning that 2020 hunt. Contact us for details.

Hunting Elk in Wyoming

Get Your Hiking Legs Ready

We can accommodate hunters of all different abilities, but showing up ready to hike really makes a difference. The ability to cover ground and make a move to gain strategic positions and a shooting advantage increases the odds of not only harvesting a bull but harvesting the bull you want. Spend the off-season hiking, jogging and training for the hunt. The hard work will pay off in the field.

Prepare Your Gear

Showing up in brand new gear is a common mistake. Break in your boots while training and give everything a test run to ensure it fits comfortably. Do a few pre-season hikes in your hunting pants and clothing to make sure nothing chaffes and that it’s all comfortable. Also, bring along lightweight rain gear just in case. Rain is not always common but staying dry can be the difference between having fun and being miserable.

Shoot Like Crazy

Confidence, Confidence, Confidence. It doesn’t matter if you’re hunting archery or rifle, shooting makes all the difference. Hit the range every week and even daily leading into the hunt. Use the same ammo and arrows for consistency as well. Walking into a hunt with confidence in your firearm and abilities is critical. Know your range and comfort levels, practice at different angles and from various shooting positions and focus on shot placement for a clean kill. We strongly discourage archery hunters from using single pin sights. See our recent blog post on that subject.

Bring Your Best Glass

The guides carry excellent optics but having your own to spot animals makes the hunt that much more enjoyable. Bring high quality binoculars with a comfortable chest harness that protects the glass and makes it easy to access. When going on any guided hunt, always talk to your guide first about what you need to carry. But in most cases, carrying your own optics is always a good move.

If you’re interested in hunting elk with Table Mountain Outfitters in 2020 or beyond, please contact us with questions and to get started. We’d love to help you begin the process of planning an incredible Wyoming elk hunt!

Interested in hunting with Table Mountain Outfitters?

Contact us today and take that first step towards livin' THE LIFE!

win-free-hunt